You have a land use issue. You purchased land with the intention of using it for a synagogue or Chabad and the local government has denied you the ability to use the land for religious assembly due to zoning issues. What can you do?
In some communities, Jewish synagogue projects face little to no opposition. In others, synagogue builders can come up against zoning regulations and land use laws that prevent the expansion and construction of synagogues.
If you find yourself in the latter group, you need the experience of Dalton & Tomich, PLC. Our religious land use attorneys can help you with a wide range of building and zoning issues that are delaying your project.
LET US GUIDE YOU THROUGH THE LEGAL SIDE OF SYNAGOGUE CONSTRUCTION
Securing zoning approval and construction permits is often a straightforward process, but if there is a dispute or issue it can put a new synagogue build on hold. We’re here to help get your project back on track.
The team at Dalton & Tomich, PLC can serve as guides through the often complicated process of getting approval from an administrative body that has previously blocked requests. We also have experience with federal court litigation for securing zoning approval. The professionals at Dalton & Tomich, PLC have successfully confirmed the rights of synagogues, chabads and other houses of worship in complex religious land use and zoning cases throughout the United States.
We primarily base our cases on a set of religious land use acts:
- The First Amendment Free Exercise Clause
- The Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment
- The Religious Land Use & Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA)
Our past cases have resulted in the acquisition of new property, new synagogue construction and the expansion of existing buildings. But winning these cases is a complex process that requires intimate knowledge of religious protection acts and their applications.
At this time we are accepting new clients and can begin working with your organization to secure the resources that are needed for your synagogue as quickly as possible.
SPECIALTY LAND USE AND ZONING SERVICES FOR JEWISH BUILDING PROJECTS
The construction of synagogues is hindered by many of the same challenges other houses of worship face. Our team is experienced in handling highly specialized cases involving synagogue construction and religious protection acts.
Legal services available to synagogue builders include:
- Gaining approval or denial with local planning commission and administrative bodies as necessary
- Providing professional guidance through the local administrative process
- Procuring the testimony of expert witnesses, including those in the planning, zoning and traffic professions
- Gathering all available evidence to support the case
- Determining the best way to prepare and finalize pleadings based on your goals
- Filing a Motion for Preliminary Injunction, if possible
- Moving forward to trial or pursuing a settlement based on your needs and the best interests of your synagogue
- Keeping the lines of communication open throughout the process