Alexander Reuter is a passionate and accomplished litigator, specializing in all areas of business, real estate and commercial litigation. A significant portion of his work focuses on zoning and land use. Alex has successfully represented both individuals and developers, appearing before municipalities and agency boards, and on appeal to circuit courts. Alex also specializes in representing property owners in all facets of real estate matters, from boundary disputes to enforcing easements and associated water rights (riparian rights).
Alex was named a “Rising Star” by Michigan Super Lawyers in 2019 in the area of Business Litigation. He graduated from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, where he earned Book Awards in the areas of Contract Law, Trial Practice and First Amendment Seminar. Prior to law school, Alex attended the University of Concordia, Ann Arbor, where he graduated with honors, earned the Distinguished Scholar Award, and was named an Academic All-American while playing for the Concordia Cardinals baseball team.
A true Michigander, when he is not practicing law, Alex enjoys playing hockey and baseball and spending time with his wife and family out on Lake Michigan. He is active in the community as a board member of his home owners’ association, a participant of the Brighton Area Chamber of Commerce Business Alliance Group, a mock-trial judge and volunteer youth baseball and softball coach.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2019
- State Bar of Michigan
- Federal District Court for Eastern District of Michigan
- Livingston County Bar Association
- Greater Brighton Area Chamber of Commerce
- Home Owner Association Board Member
- The Military and the First Amendment: An Argument for Greater Free Speech Rights for those who Serve, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Seminar, July 2015
- The List: A Flaw in Michigan’s Legislative Approach to Gambling Addiction, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Seminar, December 2014
- Successfully represented land owners and developer in opposition to proposed zoning ordinance text amendments in local municipal village
- Negotiated easement agreements between developers and landowners for access to inland lakes in and around southeast Michigan
- Represented land owners in multifaceted litigation to enforce and protect riparian rights
- Assisted developer in obtaining site plan approval for commercial developments
- Successfully represented business owners in litigation to enforce commercial contracts
- Represented real estate investors in the formation of investment company and the purchase of real estate in and around eastern Michigan
- Provided representation in land owner’s pursuit of variance on appeal from zoning board of appeals
- Successfully opposed zoning amendment for group of interested land owners in local township
- Represented land owners in litigation against neighboring property owner for overburdening easement and shared driveway on waterfront property
- Successfully represented business in defense of shareholder oppression claim