Land Use FAQs | Dalton and Tomich


Determining whether you need a local, state, or federal permit for your dock can be tricky. And lack of compliance can lead to enforcement procedures. We can help you determine what kind of permit you need and guide you along the approval process.

Understanding how the laws governing easements, riparian rights, and access to lakes and other waterways relate to your property is crucial to ensuring your ability to enjoy that property.

Michigan law protects your rights as an owner of property adjacent to a lake or other body of water. These are known as “riparian rights.”

An easement is the right to use land owned by another party for a specified purpose, in this case, to access a lake or other body of water.